Friday, September 16, 2011

Return (of the Jedi)

A long time it has been.  A semester has come and gone, and so has my (very short) summer break.  Much has happened, yet so has nothing at all.

My semester back after India was one of the most stressful, and yet rewarding semesters of all.  I was taking 15 credits of classes, all of which were studio classes--meaning I was working on 4 projects at a time, with no time for breathing in between.

Here is a quick summary of what I did for the past 4 and 1/2 months:

rideinastuntplanenewapartmentstarfishesblackandwhitefilmyellowstoneandeverywhereinbetweenhoursinthedarkroom35mmfilmholgalargeformatdocumentarytattooparloursmannamedtrollwatchingpiercingsandtattoosgettingdonetattooconventioninslcattemptedseriesonchildpsychologyportraithoursinlightstudiomotorcycleinstudiocrashedlaptopmodelsmodelsmodelshistoricalprocesseslightsensitivechemicalsonpaperoriginalformsofprintingphotoscyanotypesgumprintsplatinumprintskallitypesvandykebrownsscarsindiapicturessummerbreaknew4x5cameravisitfamilyinmedfordinportlandinBoiseinCorvallisinSeattlevacationsanjuanislandsscarsworkdrastichaircutwhichleadsusto...

Now.

I have started work on my BFA (Bachelor of Fine Arts), which is like my photographic version of a thesis.  As part of the completion of my degree, I have to shoot and present a series of photos on campus in a gallery like setting.  It is what all my blood, sweat, and tears, and hours of work for the past 4+ years is for.  It is a very important and prestigious event, and an honor to be a part of.  Definitely not something to take lightly.



While doing my final for my historical processes class, as mentioned above, I started a series of portraits of people with scars using a large format camera (a film camera with a negative 4"x5" and up).  With each portrait I took, it became clearer and clearer that this was going to turn into a very important series for me.  I decided to take this up as my BFA project, and have since continued work on it.  I'm incredibly excited about it and can't wait to see it continue in development.

Not a day goes by that I don't think of India.  Its been very good to have all these projects occupy my time, because as I had anticipated, it was a hard transition back to normal life. The distance between me and India--its experiences, and memories has been increasing.  My fear that I will lose those precious memories haunts me everyday.  every so often I see something, or something happens and a new memory pops up.  I cling to that new memory as tight as I can, letting go of that ragged and tattered old one to which I wore out.

Its times like those that I wish that the world of Harry Potter was real. I wish I could store my memories in vials and jars, and look at them in pensieve when I want to relive them.  Alas, we are mere mortals, whose memories fade in time.  I just have to look forward to the time when I'm in Heaven and can watch the video of my life.  Boy, thats going to be embarrassing.

Here are some photos from my portrait and documentary class.  Historical processes, film, and scar photos to come later.





No comments:

Post a Comment